« FREE: blogger training wheels | Main | The future is catching up with us »

iGnorance is bliss!

Ipod1

Hugh:

Know diddly-squat about tech? Then you're more likely to go with the $400 iPod, less likely to go with the $250 Microsoft-powered alternative.

Kathy:

And I decided that paying extra for my iPod is worth it (but it's not really extra; these folks just don't understand how the whole iPod ecosystem works and it's much too complicated for me to explain here)

If it was all about the iPod itself, then sure, there may well be better, cheaper alternatives (that I probably still wouldn't buy). But it's not just about the mp3 player, it's about all the extras (read: third-party user specific modules) I can get for it.

I love my two sounddocks and couldn't live without my car's ice-link system (local dealer). You see, my iPod's not just a product, it's a lifestyle.

So Hugh, sorry bro, I'm with Kathy on this one, (funny that, eh?).

Also, I'm not sure if I'm the one that's being ignorant, at least I'll be able to say "I was there"

That's got to be worth something...!

Posted by Rich...! | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference iGnorance is bliss!:

» ignorance is bliss from zarryo.com
"Hello_World": iGnorance is bliss! ... [Read More]

Tracked on 20 Aug 2005 23:41:55

Comments

Maybe he should also say:

Do you love technology and care diddly-squat about music? Then you're more likely to go with the $250 Microsoft-powered alternative, less likely to go with the $400 iPod.

The iPod is about getting technology out of the way of a great music-listening experience. So far, I haven't seen a PC version that does this as well. We're not all Kip Dynamites. Besides, I paid $220 for my iPod.

Posted by: Dustin | 16 Aug 2005 01:05:33

Heh.

Rock on etc.

Posted by: hugh macleod | 16 Aug 2005 10:53:29

Haha, thanks.

It took me nearly an hour to decide on the right cartoon. The post it came from was too good not to use too

Happy days...!

Posted by: Rich...! | 16 Aug 2005 11:03:01

Dustin, you are of course right, however the iPod's not flawless, and I'm sure there are probably better devices out there. tthing is, I've never really looked at them, there's something about the iPod's understated tech elegance that I just love...!

Posted by: Rich...! | 16 Aug 2005 17:49:05

When I was in London recently I bought an iRIVER. And I'm really chuffed with it.

PROS (as compared to iPOD):
o Non-proprietary jukebox software on the desktop computer (ie, the softwware you use to interface with it is NOT goddamn iTUNES).

o It really IS a usb harddrive. In other words, when I plug this baby into someone else's computer, it is recognised. iPOD is nothing like this. Wanna swap music with me? Hahhahahha!

o Plays loads of music formats AND video AND pics and text files.

o Has a built-in FM radio tuner.

o Built in voice recorder.

o A headphone jack, plus a line-in and a line-out. Makes this thing really versatile. Very cool for recording podcasts, for instance.

CONS:

o Clunky clunky clunky!!! (At least twice the thickness of the equivalent 40gig iPOD.)

o NASTY user interface. Gimme an iPOD interface any time.

o No playlists on the fly (yet -- they're fixing this in a firmware upgrade at some unspecified date).

o No true randomisation of music. They've got a fake "shuffle" mode, which produces the same order every time you press it. Blah!

o No gapless playback yet. Also being fixed though.

---

All in all, I love the design of the iPOD -- looks and functionality of the interface. But I'll take the iRIVER anyday cos of the added features.

I don't have an MP3 player to be cool. I have it cos I want to have all of my music with me, with specific needs. So I'll have to do without the cool factor.

Blue skies
love
Roy

Posted by: Roy Blumenthal | 18 Aug 2005 14:27:38

Roy, do you mind me asking how much it cost?

Posted by: Dustin | 18 Aug 2005 16:44:14

My man Roy - hope you're well bro.

Dude, a lot depends on what you want it for, many of the features you mention are cool, but for me the versatility of use is a far bigger deal. Also, I love iTunes?

I use my ipod as a storage/backup device, and can access it via firewire or usb from a pc. The DRM type stuff is a bit of a pain, but hey, it's a small thing for me...!

Posted by: Rich...! | 18 Aug 2005 22:43:25

Funny you should say that. Bought an iRiver IHP-120 because it had more features than an iPod (FM tuner, voice recorder, works as an external HD, plays more file types, etc...) but I can't fucking find a car cradle for the bloody thing.

Posted by: Alexoid | 21 Aug 2005 23:15:31

Hiya Dustin...

I paid 295 British pounds for it, with a VAT rebate at the airport of 30 pounds. So, a total price of 265.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this particular unit to people though. I think there are much better MP3 players on the market.

Pretty much all of the new units (aside from iPODS) come with built-in voice recording and FM tuners.

The sheer bulk of mine is irritating.

---

Yo Rich...!

Great that we were same-place-same-timing on Saturday. Pity we didn't hook up. Howya placed for a cuppa coffee tomorrow or Friday (messaging here on Wednesday night)?

Re the versatility... damn dude, you'll cream your panties once you've used a unit that acts as a true harddrive. With the iPOD being proprietary in ALL ways, it's very limited in terms of being able to pull stuff off it and stick stuff on it.

I was at a buddy's place the other night. He's a jazz buff. I know next to nothing about jazz. He knows next to nothing about World Music. So we swapped some stuff. As easy as slapping a USB cable into his Mac. So now I have about 1 gig of jazz, and he has a gig of World. Which is the ultimate "try before you buy". Cos I make it a habit of actually buying albums I like. Mostly.

Lekker stuff happening in the world.

Blue skies